27 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2012 4:03 PM by anadyr RSS

Car Rental Rates

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone have tips on reduced car rental rates when travelling?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
United States
  • Re: Car Rental Rates
    alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

If you are not a member of Hertz Gold, or any of the other premier Auto Rental Agency, do a general Google search for example: Avis rental coupons, Budget rental coupons, etc. Marriott often offers a discount associated with stays, usually Hertz, I also believe that you get free Hertz gold membership if you are Marriott Platinum (normally $100 a year). It is pretty cool, as I have been Gold Hertz (based on another credit card affiliation) for years, and you get the automatic discount when you enter your member number, and you can get keys for a specific car you reserved given to you from a kiosk without the assistance of an actual person or agent. The online codes always change, that is why I recommend you do a general search. that way you will get the best savings for what you want (week, weekend, month, etc.) Hope this was of some help!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Rental Codes.com - Car Rental Coupon Codes - Avis, Budget, Dollar, Hertz, Thrifty and Advantage Coupons.

If renting a car in Europe, I always rent through kemwel.com (or autoeurope.com).  They are sister companies and will meet or beat any lower rate.  They are brokers.  All of my rentals have been with Europcar.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Be careful... There is a Hertz discount (35% maybe?) on the main Marriott.com site. I needed a car two weeks ago. The discount provided the HIGHEST rate that I researched. Sometimes these rates aren't so good.  Check a few sites.   The best rate I found was through USAir. They were offering good rates through their program. I ended up with a small SUV through Enterprise for $140/unlimited miles for a week.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 51 Reviews

Another thing to be careful about is know where you can legally take your rental car!

You are not allowed to just go to any country you choose to drive to.  I recently rented a new BMW to drive on the autobahn in Munich, only to find out I could not take that car to Italy!  I was also going to Lake Como, so I had to take the car back and get a "Less fancy" car. 

I do think some of these rental cars have "Trackers" in them and someone told me that the car will not work if you take it to a forbidden zone.

A word to the wise,  "Never rent a car, unless you really have to."  The "Downside" can really be a nightmare, financially, personally and ruin a trip!

Good advice Jerry. Another thing to watch out for is the discount will say UP TO a 35% discount. 3 weeks ago I got a rental from Avis, and even though it said up to a 30% discount, they only gave me 10% so I made a comment about it, and they tossed me an extra free day. I am Avis President's club, so that may have helped sway my influence in my favor.

anadyr Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Not to mention the 'Burgh connection

Hey, I caught that............LOL! 

Gotta stick together bunky!

Much appreciated! I will watch your back too!

Like chipped ham, Klondikes and Jumbo!!!!!

So Mr. Islay's has spoken, let it be written.

Your memory is keen....Pittsburghese is hard to forget, eh?

My Dad worked at Bards, and Isaly's was the place we were never supposed to go

I cannot believe I misspelled Isaly's. Now that is FRENCH for it is time for me to go to bed. It has been a long day. Can you believe that they are actually predicting snow tonight in the Burgh on April 10th? Wild stuff!

Drive a Hybrid, according to Dick Durbin that will prevent the weather patterns

I am going to drive by that Hamburger place next to Renaissance about 10:30 Eastern time tomorrow night. I will file a report shortly after in the post that CommunityManager developed. I am dying to know the name now!

So I take it In'N'Out Burger is not the answer?

It may become that name if I dash in there tomorrow night for a quick bite as part of my report!

Also, can you believe they have an Isaly's in the downtown Marriott Metro Center?

Jinx, just kiddin' 

One trick I have learned is to check with Costco Travel (if you are a member). They have negotiated cheaper rates with Alamo, Avis, Enterprise and Budget.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 19 Reviews

Priceline (Name Your Own Price)  is always a good option if your travel plans are firm.

Otherwise here are a few other tips you may find useful:

1.) Airport Locations are usually high.  If your able to swing it try renting from a local office.  Some Marriotts have a local edition Hertz which are usually much cheaper than the Airport locations.

2.) AAA Discount- I've found that AAA usually offers the best discount for Hertz rentals.

3.) Advantage Rent a Car- The car company was purchased from Hertz a couple of years ago and is now a Generic Brand of Hertz.  Their rates are usually less than the major name brands and most Hertz discount codes work in their reservation system.

4.) Geico Privileges - You don't have to have Geico insurance to sign up for a free account with Geico Privileges (www.geicoprivileges.com).  Once you sign up your able to get discount codes for multiple car rental companies like Enterprise, National, and Alamo.

I hope this helps!

If it is any help, the Marriott Hertz discount code is:  CDP 154080

In case you did not have it, and can be of use to at least check a rate. Good luck - Al.

Thanks for all your advise/comments.  I have some research to do!

tef6178 Platinum 5 Reviews

My advice would be to be diligent. Example:

I rented a car in Boston (Logan Airport) for a week. I came here last Wed. I had a rate of $225 with Marriott CDP and PC for 35% off. Checked rates (blindly, don't log in) the day before I left with Marriotts CDP and PC again. Rate was $103. Signed in and booked rate at $103. Cancelled reservation for $225. I find that this is the case all the time. After I book what appears to be a good rate I continue to check rates. Use different CDP's and PC's too. Check them all.

In addition, I am Gold with Hertz and I always book a compact or economy car. It has been years since I booked a larger car but I cannot remember the last time I did not receive a midsize or SUV booking the compact or economy rate.

I am driving a Toyota SUV now for the $103 rate.

Exapmle 2: Just changed my booking in FL for this Friday (at a neighborhood Hertz) using same Marriott CDP and PC from $190/wk to $140/wk. Don't know what I'll get for a car but I saved $40 and will check again Thurs before my rental pickup Fri.

Happy travels!

Yes rechecking is the answer, as an example at National (Where I am an Executive Elite member) they send a weekly email to me with deals to go. I save about 50 bucks every time with this deal.

Wow!  That's fantastic!  I was always leary of being Hertz Gold, but I guess I will join.  Thanks.

Since you are Marriott Platinum, I believe Hertz Gold is free. I get my membership through another source, but I believe the annual fee is $100, which is waived for the Plat members (at least it used to be $100. I use it often, and it has a lot of good features. If you have the Marriott Premier Visa, it covers most of your insurance, and has many other travel features.

Hope you get a great rate! - Al

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 22 Reviews

We are also Hertz Gold through Marriott.  We just rented a car in Phoenix for a week that would have cost nearly $450 for only $51.40 by using Hertz reward points.  I also bought gift cards during the earlier promotion which included a $50 voucher on a rental (you could use up to 3 vouchers on a rental.

I do shop around and research all the discounts we are eligible for.

I joined Hertz gold when it began long ago and paid one year and nothing since!  Maybe they don't know?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...